January 12, 2014

Trip to the Moon




The short film ‘Trip to the Moon’ is about the journey of a group of scientists to the moon and their adventures there and how they manage to get back to Earth. It is a silent film directed by Georges Méliès, accompanied only by music and no voice-overs or dialogues whatsoever.
If I was present during the first screening of the film, my initial reaction, I think, would be of great astonishment. Given the resources and the advancements in technology that time, specifically in film making, the techniques used in the film were indeed very amazing. Many would say it is the first of its kind and that it would mark the start of a new age in film making. I really admire the work the director and the staff put into making the film because I would assume that since many film making strategies weren’t yet possible or discovered that time, they would’ve had to do a lot of manual work and it would’ve taken a lot of their time to make a short film like that.
My reaction to the story, on the other hand, I think, would be that it was very entertaining and very interesting. The story provided viewers with an insight of how the director and creators perceived outer space. It supported the idea of extra-terrestrial beings existing outside our planet. I found it entertaining because even though it was a silent film, it still portrayed the story well and it was easily understandable.
Films like ‘Trip to the Moon’ give excitement to people because it explores worlds in ways that no one has thought of doing before. From the point of view of a person in the time of the film, I think I would personally be ecstatic to watch more films like this one not only because it shows a whole new side of film making, but because it also shows a whole new side of science and technology in society.

No comments:

Post a Comment