January 13, 2014

Futurama: Pilot Episode



               Last December was my first time watching an episode of Futurama. Being a nonlover of animated sitcoms, such as The Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama, etc, I never get through one episode completely. Hence, I don’t watch Futurama on television. It just wasn’t up to my liking. The characters seem strange. The title suggests a weird plot, and the characters talk/act oddly. However, watching the first episode of the series made me reconsider my judgments.

                 Watching the pilot explained a lot of things. I finally understood why one of the main characters only had one eye, why the characters behaved that way, why the environment was strange, etc. Almost everything was explained by how the main character travelled to the future and how he is to stay there as it’s his new permanent home.

                There are just some of the things I’ve pondered on as I watched the episode. First, it must be very sad to live in that kind of “future” where everything is dictated to you and you don’t even get the chance to decide for yourself, e.g. to choose your own job. Also, how horrible is that future for people to have their own suicide booth? Another thing I’ve thought about is how people there interact with robots and cyclops just like interacting with people. It may just be where our technology will lead us. Lastly, watching Futurama made me think of my own future. I’m sure I won’t be able to live long enough to see the year 3000’s but I wonder if how I live my succeeding years here on Earth affect what the world will be in the year 3000. With that, I better live my life to the fullest and do something worthwhile/pertinent for me to at least leave a mark here on Earth.  

No comments:

Post a Comment