January 15, 2014

"There Was All The Time I Needed"

By: Langsa Tuguinay, 2013-62888

"That's not fair. That's not fair at all. There was time now. There was all the time I needed"
- Henry Bemis, Time Enough At last

                It was back in the 1950s when the episode, Time Enough At Last, from the American television anthology series The Twilight Zone was aired. It was a 25-minute story of a man named Henry Bemis who survived a nuclear war and tried to "seek salvation in the rubble of a ruined world". It was generally a sad episode because at the end, even if he found a happy solitude (if ever there is one) with different books, he still ended up "blind".

                I find myself agreeing with what Mr. Bermis said at the end of the episode; that it is not fair, that things are not fair, that when he had all the time he needed, he still can't do what he loved to do. I guess back then, it was harder for people to do what they were passionate about compared in the 20th century because almost everything back then is less liberated and people have less control over their lives. That is, if we relate them with today's scientific, political, and social aspect.

           I was able to feel his pain and sadness the moment his glasses hit the ground. It was painful and is just disappointing because that was the time when he needed his glasses “the most”. If I were him, I wouldn’t know what to do next; I wouldn’t know how to live after that.

           So anyway, moving on to the topic at hand, if I were to make an adaptation of the movie, I wouldn’t want to change the plot; I would just change the setting, making it more appealing. I liked the movie, it touched my heart that is why if I would make a remake, I would simply follow the plot of the story, but I’ll change the character’s personalities and its setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment